How will it help?
With the Android gaming landscape expanding at an exponential rate over these past few years, various games, such as Minecraft, are now coming with inbuilt gamepad controls.
Taking into account the inclusion of these inbuilt controls you can now simply enable the native gamepad support option in BlueStacks and dive into your favorite game.
It will be just like how you would play a PC title with a gamepad.
To jump to the FAQs at the end of the article, click here!
How to enable gamepad support in Bluestacks?
This article will instruct you on how to enable native gamepad support for a variety of games along with an example of how it will look like.
Depending on your current version, please select the appropriate link.
- How to enable gamepad support in Bluestacks 4.210 and above
- How to enable gamepad support in Bluestacks 4.200 and below
How to enable gamepad support in Bluestacks 4.210 and above
1) Launch BlueStacks and open the Settings Menu either by clicking the hamburger menu at the top right or by pressing the gear icon on the bottom right
2) Navigate to the 'Preferences' section
3) Go to 'Game control settings' where you can tick the option 'Enable gamepad detection'
With that, you're all set to game on with a controller in hand. You can now choose between three options for your gamepad.
- Force on - Here gamepad controls will be set as default for every game opened
- Force off - The opposite of the above, gamepad controls will be turned off for all games
- Auto - The recommended option which only turns gamepad controls on if the game provides in-built support. This helps prevent any cumbersome setting change in the middle of the game.
After enabling the settings above, you can fire up your favorite game. A few examples are shown below:
How to enable gamepad support in BlueStacks 4.200 and below
After enabling this setting, you will now be able to simply plug in your gamepad and immerse yourself in your preferred game. Similar to how you would play a PC title with a gamepad.
1) Open BlueStacks settings by clicking on the hamburger menu or through the gear icon on the bottom right.
2) Click on the "Preferences" tab, in the settings menu, as shown below.
3) In the "Preferences" tab, scroll down and click on the checkbox beside "Use game's inbuilt gamepad controls" as illustrated below. After these settings are enabled, you will not be able to use the gamepad controls provided by BlueStacks. To use BlueStacks's provided controls, you can always revert back.
With this enabled, you can now play various games with their inbuilt gamepad controls without having to set up custom controls. How easy is that?
After enabling the settings above, you can fire up your favorite game. A few examples are shown below.
Have some questions?
Q. Which controllers can I use to play games on BlueStacks?
A. Logitech, Xbox one, PDP, Redgear and PS4 controllers are some of the popular ones which work well. Usually, any controller which is recognized by Windows can be used with BlueStacks.
Q. Do all games support the use of controllers?
A. Native game support is available for a select few games. You can still configure your own controls for most of the games. Here's how you can do this!
Q. Are PS3 controllers supported on BlueStacks?
A. PS3 controllers are not directly recognized by BlueStacks. You may use them by using third-party software. However, BlueStacks does not recommend any such software or the use of PS3 controllers.
Q. My controller is connected to my PC. How can I tell if BlueStacks recognizes it?
A. Connect your controller to the PC only when you're at the home screen on BlueStacks. If the controller is supported, a message will display on the lower right side of BlueStacks, saying Gamepad Connected.
Thank you for choosing BlueStacks. We hope you enjoy using it. If you have any further questions, please contact us at email@example.com. Happy Gaming!
Last updated on June 26, 2020