How will this help?
If BlueStacks 5 is already installed on your desktop/laptop, you can still change the location where its files are stored to manage disk space better. For example, if your C: drive is running low on space, you can choose a different drive for storing BlueStacks files.
To do this you will have to:
- Take a backup of your BlueStacks 5 files
- Uninstall BlueStacks 5 from your desktop/laptop
- Reinstall it at a location of your choice
- Restore the backup of your BlueStacks files
NOTE: If BlueStacks 5 is not installed on your computer, please read this article to learn how to install BlueStacks 5 at a custom location.
How can I do this?
- Ensure you take a backup on the same version of BlueStacks you will later restore on. As an example, a backup of BlueStacks version 5.6 cannot be restored on BlueStacks 5.7.
- If you don't wish to take a backup of your current files or if your game data is stored on Cloud, you can skip Step 1 and directly uninstall BlueStacks 5 from your desktop/laptop.
1. Go to the following path on your computer: "C:\ProgramData\BlueStacks_nxt". Copy the "Engine" folder and the "bluestacks.conf" file, and paste them at a different location of your choice on your desktop/laptop.
2. Press the shortcut keys Windows + R to open the "Run" command box on your desktop/laptop. Here, type "%temp%" in the dialog box and click on OK, as shown below.
3. The Temp window will open. Here, delete all the available files and folders.
4. Download the BlueStacks cleaner tool by clicking here and run the tool to uninstall BlueStacks 5.
5. Once BlueStacks 5 has been uninstalled successfully, you will see a message saying "Process has been finished". Click on "OK" to proceed.
NOTE: If you're asked for permissions, click on "Yes".
6. Visit our official website, click on "Download BlueStacks 5" and once the file is downloaded, launch it to proceed.
NOTE: If you wish to restore your backed up files, please ensure that you install the same version of BlueStacks 5 from which the backup was taken.
Alternatively, if you already have the installer file with you, launch it to proceed.
7. After the BlueStacks 5 installer launches, click on "Customize installation".
8. You can now enter a location of your choice, either by typing the path in the address bar or clicking on "Change folder". Select the location where you wish to install BlueStacks 5 and then, click on "OK".
9. Once you select the custom location, it will appear in the installation address bar. Click on "Install now" to start the installation.
10. Go to the folder where you had saved the files in Step 1 and:
- Copy the "Engine" folder and the "bluestacks.conf" file
- Paste them where you have installed BlueStacks 5
- Select "Replace the files in the destination" when you see a message, as shown below
You have now successfully changed the location of BlueStacks 5 on your desktop/laptop and will be able to utilize your disk storage wisely!
Thank you for choosing BlueStacks 5. We hope you enjoy using it. Happy Gaming!